At the 1-Yard Line: 7 Layer Dip
It’s SUPERBOWL Sunday!!! If you need a last minute recipe for your Superbowl party, this is a crowd pleaser and SUPER easy to make. I just tested this recipe with eight 7 – 10 year olds, and they whipped it up – no problemo. Oh, and they were licking the spoons and spatulas clean, and munching on all of the ingredients the whole time!
We use fresh avocados with lime juice (so that the avocados don’t brown), not pre-made guacamole… adding freshness and eliminating added salt & preservatives! Then we use black beans instead of refried beans because black beans are higher in fiber and protein and have 1/100th the amount of salt & 1/4th the fat. Oh, and we quickly made our own taco seasoning for the 0% fat greek yogurt mix (instead of fattening sour-cream and pre-packaged taco seasoning). The taco seasoning is cheaper to make on our own, and we used better ingredients like sea salt & turmeric (which is an anti inflammatory and has lots of healing properties). Lastly, we use organic fresh-made salsa & shredded cheddar cheese to add brightness, a little kick & even more creaminess.
Enjoy the game! Enjoy this dip!
Ingredients (for 8 kids – or an 8×8 pyrex)
- 4 avocados
- 4 limes
- 32oz salsa
- 32oz cheddar cheese
- 32oz 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 32oz black beans
- 8 whole scallions
- Large bunch of cilantro
- Homemade taco seasoning (double batch):
- 2 teaspoons each: sea salt & cracked black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each paprika, turmeric & chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder & oregano
Make the yogurt & taco seasoning first…
- In a large bowl mix together all of the taco seasoning ingredients
- Add in 32 oz of Greek Yogurt and mix well
Now let’s make the dip… use a spoon to spread out each layer
- Drain the black beans and put them in a bowl. Use a whisk to mash the beans. This is your bottom layer.
- Wash & cut the avocados & limes in half – remove the avocado pit. Each kid juices ½ a lime and mashes the juice & ½ avocado together with a fork. This is your 2nd layer.
- Measure ½ cup of salsa per kid. This is your 3rd layer.
- Measure ½ cup of the yogurt & taco seasoning mix per kid. This is your 4th layer.
- Measure ½ cup of cheddar cheese per kid. This is your 5th layer.
- Wash and chop 1 scallion per kid (discard the white end with the roots). This is your 6th layer!
- Wash & dry 1 sprig of cilantro per kid. Have them pick apart the leaves and sprinkle on top. This is your 7th and final layer!
- Store in the fridge for up to a week!
- Serve with chips 🙂
Love & yum,