GrillVIP: Achiote Blood Orange Chicken w/ Melissa Cookston
This recipe is so amazing, I would eat it weekly! The chicken from Greensbury.com was juicy and delicious, and the Achiote marinade made by Melissa Cookston made the chicken a beautiful orange color… and the flavor from the marinade and the open flame of the Arteflame (use code Lindsay10 for 10% off all Arteflame grills & tools)… WOW!
If you have a rotisserie attachment on your grill, you NEED to make this recipe. Here’s the full recipe for you to try:
- ½ cup achiote sauce
- juice from 4 blood oranges
- 1 jalapeno (seeded if you want to cut down on the heat)
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- ½ TBS course ground black pepper
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic
Let’s get cookin’
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until well mixed.
- Take whole chicken and remove any extra fat or skin. Add to a large re-sealable bag. Pour in marinade, then press out as much air as possible. Seal bag and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from bag, allowing any excess marinade to drain.
- Place chicken on rotisserie spit and secure. Over medium high flames, cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 170 to 175 degrees in the thigh. This should take around 30 minutes per pound, depending on the size of your fire. Cover with foil if skin is getting too dark. Remove from rotisserie and allow to rest for 10 minutes to allow juices to redistribute. Carve and serve.
Wishing you Love & Yum!
Lindsay “Mama” O’Neill