Easy Kid-Friendly Turkey Tacos
Sharing these in honor of Cinco De Mayo, but really these are such a quick, easy and healthy week-night meal that will please everybody anytime! Enjoy! Love & Yum, Holly
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or olive is OK too)
- 1 finely chopped medium sized sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic – mashed
- 2 teaspoons organic tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canned organic diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste – depending on how much
- spice you like)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey (I use organic 93% lean)
- 8-10 corn tortillas – hard or soft, depending on your preference
- Shredded Cheese – I use cheddar, monterey jack works too
- Chopped lettuce – I find romaine works best
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Cubed avocado
- Can be served with your favorite salsa. *I also like 2% plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Let’s get cookin’
- In a large frying pan heat the oil over medium heat – add the chopped onion and sautee until clear – about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, oregano and chili powder, and cook a minute more, making sure everything is mixed.
- Add the ground turkey – break up into small pieces as you mix in with other ingredients. Cook for about 5 minutes until turkey is cooked through.
- Add canned tomatoes, vinegar and coconut sugar and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Build your tacos – meat on the bottom, followed by cheese and veggies.
- Serve with a wedge of lime on the side and enjoy.
This recipe is also easily converted to a taco salad – just crush up a few organic tortilla chips I love these:
Then layer ingredients on top – – just add extra lettuce and veggies!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Love & Yum,
Oh, and if you want to make the “Adult” version of this, with a little more pallet-tantalizing flavor, we LOVE this recipe from MID-LIFE CROISSANT 🙂