Aussie Lamb Tenderloin Thanksgiving Bites – Spinach/Butternut/Pistachios
I was seriously struggling with what appetizer to make, when I got a call from my peeps at True Aussie Beef & Lamb… “ahhh a lamb appetizer would be aussome!”, I thought…
So here is my newest creation – JUST IN TIME for the best foodie Holiday of the year. Enjoy!
What you’ll need:
- 1 – 1.5 lb Aussie lamb tenderloin (can cut it off the rack if need be)
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale or spinach
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 clementine
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp each: turmeric, pink Himalayan salt, ground ginger, allspice
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Let’s get cookin’
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Slice the lamb into half long ways and then in half long ways again. Marinate with rind and juice of one clementine – AND – 1.5 tablespoons of spice rub (should have ½ tbsp left over). Leave out on counter for 1 hour in marinade.
- Toss cubed squash and red onion with 1 tsp oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Place on baking sheet and place in oven until caramelized.
- In hot cast iron toss pistachios with remaining spice mix. Cook until coated and toasted. Remove and set aside to cool. Chop roughly when cooled.
- Blend caramelized squash & onion with a pinch of salt & pepper and ½ cup apple cider. This is your puree.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Sear each piece of lamb until medium rare. Let the lamb sit for 5 minutes before slicing into 1/2 inch pieces. Plate on a small washed piece of kale/spinach with a dollop of puree on the bottom, and sprinkle with pistachio pieces.
Wishing you LOTS of Love & Yum for a happy & healthy Thanksgiving!
Lindsay “Mama” O’Neill