HAPPY VALENTINES DAY – Chocolate & Chia Strawberries
These sweet treats are easy to make with your kiddos – or for a loved one who loves chocolate! We made these for our Mamas in yesterday’s 2nd – 4th grade cooking class. Here’s the curriculum:
- First we’ll make chocolate covered strawberries w/ ground Chia
- While they cool we’ll make Valentine’s Day Plates
Ingredients (for 8 kids)
- 24 – 48 strawberries washed and dried
- 2 cups of semi-sweet, dark or white chocolate chips
- ½ cup ground chia*
Let’s get cookin’:
Step 1: *May need to grind the chia first. You can do so in a blender or coffee grinder! Divide chocolate chips into 8 Pyrex bowls.
Step 2: Microwave chocolate chips in the Pyrex bowls on HIGH for 45 seconds. Remove bowl (carefully! May be hot!) and stir with toothpick until completely melted. If not melted after 45 seconds, microwave again for 20 seconds at a time, and continue stirring. You don’t want to burn the chocolate!
Step 3: Dip strawberries in chocolate and use toothpick to remove excess chocolate.
Step 4: Place them on waxed paper and sprinkle with ground chia. Let cool.
What we learned:
- Despite their tiny size, chia seeds are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. They are loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and various micronutrients. Always soak or grind before eating so they are easier to digest and so you can get al of those amazing health benefits!