Easy Pizza-Roll Recipe for Auntie Lynne & Tony D.
Earlier today I posted a picture of a “pizza-roll” aka Mama’s stromboli! My good friend Tony and my aunt Lynne asked for the recipe… so I happily oblige 🙂 Stay tuned for a “Tasty”-like how-to video for this recipe and others! But for now, enjoy!
This can be a very EASY recipe if you buy pre-made pizza dough. Whole Foods and other markets sell pre-made organic, whole grain dough. Sometimes it’s in the freezer section. OR, based on your dietary needs, you can make your own. Here is a link to The Kichn, who has 5 great whole grain pizza dough recipes.
Once you have your dough the fun begins. Let it sit on a counter and come to room temp while you gather other ingredients. I am a FIRM believer that to make the BEST food possible, you need the BEST ingredients. So for this pizza-roll I used the following:
- 4oz fresh imported mozzarella
- 1 whole organic vine ripened (large) tomato – cut in 1/4 inch slices and slow roasted in a 250 degree oven for 2 – 3 hours w/ sea salt, italian herbs, and either EVOO or avocado oil… you can add pepper too
- Fresh basil
- Fresh shaved prosciutto di Parma from the butcher – you need about 1/8 lb
- 1 organic egg yolk whisked
- sesame seeds
How to make it…
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough onto the baking sheet so that it looks like a horizontal oval.
- Layer the roasted tomatoes, then small strips of mozzarella, basil then prosciutto. Roll the dough from the bottom up, and pinch the dough together to seal in the ingredients. Then roll the dough from left to right so that it forms a circular roll.
- Brush the roll with the whisked egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
Remove and try to let it cool before diving in!! Enjoy with an lightly dressed arugula salad w/ fresh fennel – it will help you digest this delicious meal 🙂
Love & yum,
Lindsay (Mama) O’Neill