Mama’s Healthy Detox Day 15 – 21
Happy & HEALTHY New Year!
Those two things go hand in hand for me… and when I’m not in a healthy place, I cannot be happy. The reverse is also true, when I’m unhappy I do not feel healthy and tend to get sick.
This tortuous cycle has plagued me most of my life, but was never so intense as it was last year. To get the full back-story, CLICK HERE. Now that you have the back-story, let’s dive in to the last 7 days of my 21-day health detox!
***It’s important that you note that this detox and supplement program was designed FOR ME. However, there are vitamins and supplements, as well as recipes and food guidelines that we can all try. I’d recommend you try your own cleanse under the supervision and guidance of a medical or holistic practitioner.***
I’M DONE!! I did it!!
21 days of detox complete! Now it’s time to re-cap the last week, the whole 21 Day Medical Food Cleanse, and get ready for the re-introduction of food!
Week 3 was MUCH easier than “Hell Week” aka Week 2 because I could re-introduce certain meat, fish, nuts, seeds, milk substitutes (like coconut milk) and grains. That gives me A LOT more to work with 🙂 But I’m still avoiding:
- ALL Sugar & Sweeteners (except Royal Jelly)
- High glycemic fruit (melon, dried fruit, dates, grapes,)
- Grains – quinoa, white rice, buckwheat, corn, millet
- Alcohol – boooo
- Lectins – legumes (beans, peas, edamame), nightshades (potato, tomato, eggplan, peppers)
- Coffee and caffeine
- Processed and canned foods (unless organic and BPA free)
What I’ve added back in:
- Gluten free organic oats
- Pasture raised organic chicken & turkey – better than free range*
- Grass-fed organic beef
- Chia seeds, ground flax, pumpkin seeds (good for thyroid) and other seeds
- Some nuts – almonds, pecans, brazil nuts
- Fish – salmon, mackerel, anchovies, canned tuna (if made with cilantro), shrimp, sardines
*Free Range vs. Pastured: Chicken and Eggs. … Some producers abuse this term and label their eggs as “free range” when in fact all they have done is open a door to allow their chickens to range in an outdoor area of bare dirt or concrete, with no pasture in sight! CRAZY RIGHT?
YAY – I finally got my supplements right!
3rd week was a charm, I shakes went down to 2 per day, and were more rich an satisfying with coconut milk and almost milk, and made Ziploc packs of organized supplements. This week I took:
- 7,000 mg Vitamin D
- Saccharomycin 2x per day
- Probiotic Eleven & FloraMyces 2 pills each, 2x per day for 2 months – then switched to Probiomax Daily 2x per day
- ActivEssentials for Woman – 5 pill pack 1x per day
- Liposomal Glutathione (spray in mouth – MOST POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT)
- Methyl b12 1x per day
- Amla Gold (Vitamin C) 2x per day
- B Active (B Complex) 2x per day
- AlaMax CR 2x per day
- Cytomel 1x per day (thyroid medication – prescription)
- CoQ Max Ubiquinol 1x per day
- Ashwaganda 2x per day
- Calcium & Magnesium Liquid 1 – 2 TBSP before bed – helps me sleep too!
- Nattokinase 2x per day
- “Drainage – Homeopathic detox liquid”
- Pregnenolone 1x per day (“feel good” hormone)
As I re-introduce foods, I will cut back on the supplements. So stay tuned!
I’ve continued my self-care protocol:
- Switching to all-natural organic products – soaps, shampoo, make up, toothpaste, deodorant, gum, etc.
- Drinking alkaline water
- Dry brushing 1x per day (for lymphatic system) – 5 minutes before showering
- Coconut oil pulling (swishing in mouth for 15 minutes while dry brushing and showering – brush teeth after spitting out and don’t swollow!) – WHITENS TEETH LIKE CRAZY
- Meditating 1x per day (“Calm” app)
- Exercising – did some yoga and dancing at home. Walked my dog, and took the kids skiing!
Want to know what I ate this week? Without further ado…
- Day 15 – Tues, Jan 16, 2018 – Welcome back grass-fed beef… boy oh boy did I miss you! I made a delicious “lettuce wrap” with ground beef cooked in coconut amino teriyaki sauce (just a little) with some red onion. Garnished with fresh chopped fennel bulb, radish and wasabi micro greens… and of course a little Sriracha!
- Day 16 – Weds, Jan 17, 2018 – Slow cooked soup. My babysitter was not feeling well, and I HAD to go into the city to meet Bobby Flay… so I put a whole pasture-raised chicken in my crock pot with onion, organic carrots, garlic, herbs and Indian spices. Cooked it for 6 hours in water, organic low-sodium chicken stock, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Garnished with some green onion at the end for an extra crunch and flavor.
- Day 17 – Thurs, Jan 18, 2018 – Breakfast of champions! GF organic oats, cinnamon, royal jelly, ground flax, blue berries, coconut milk and dry roasted pecans. I felt perfectly full, and had TONS of energy. Plus drank a shake and had some red raspberry leaf tea (to ease some residual lady cramps *wink *wink).
- Day 18 – Fri, Jan 19, 2018 – Okay, so I typically do not like sardines or anchovies, but now that I can eat them, I figured I try them… OMG you need to go to 273 Kitchen to try their anchovies. Perfectly salty and lemony, with cilantro on top. I ate around the peppers, but WOW they were good. Paired with a light salad with crispy chickpeas and I was in heaven!
- Day 19 – Sat, Jan 20, 2018 – After skiing in the morning @ Butternut in Great Barrington, MA, I was so hungry I could’ve eaten my shoe! One of my favorite restaurants in the Berkshires is Prairie Whale. I ordered their grass-fed burger without the bun, no fries and no ketchup. This pic is of my friend Gayle’s lunch… I ate mine so fast I forgot to take a picture. But I did sneak one french fry. OMG heaven, but I CANNOT handle fried food yet. Not even a little.
- Day 20 – Sun, Jan 21, 2018 – Organic brown rice and sautéed veggies in a coconut amino garlic sauce. No soy, no dairy, low sodium, no added sugar (just the coconut pulp that is sweet) and 100% organic. I loved this meal. Added some cayenne pepper for spice!
- Day 21 – Mon, Jan 22, 2018 – Sushi is back… but NO soy. I ordered brown rice on the salmon/avocado roll, but they gave me white rice. Oh well. And then mackerel sashimi with jalapeno over seaweed salad with ponzu sauce… again no soy!
The recipes from this week were delicious and slightly more complex. I also made an amazing grass-fed steak with indian spiced veggies, lots of shakes for “dessert”, and zucchini noodles with salmon (follow me on INSTA for more pics @mamaoneillcooks). My favorite recipes will be in the cookbook, don’t worry!
While I work on compiling my 21-day detox recipe book w/ shopping lists and other detoxifying products, I am going to SLOWLY re-introduce foods into my diet. Here’s my plan for the next 2 weeks…
I’m going to re-introduce (in this order):
- Eggs – whites first, then yolk (Eggs are in EVERYTHING – so I want to test this first)
- Wine – white or rose first (Wine come back to me)
- Legumes – beans (soaked for 24 hours to reduce lectins), edamame, peas, peanuts
- Natural sweeteners – Monk fruit, honey, agave
- Nightshades – Potatoes – sweet then white (all organic), Tomatoes, then Peppers
- Dairy – cheese please! (I really hope I can tolerate this)
- Organic wheat – sourdough bread from the Berkshires!
It should take another 21 days to re-introduce all of these items into my system and TEST what I am sensitive to. If I have a bad reaction – gastro-intestinal pain or discomfort, headache, fatigue, etc. I cannot eat that food for now. It will cause inflammation in my body, and that defeats the WHOLE purpose of this medical cleanse 🙂
How do I feel?
While I definitely have more energy than HELL WEEK (#2), I am still too skinny and tired. My 3 year old decided this week (while my husband was away for 5 days) to come wake me up every night, most nights 2 – 3 times. I also ran myself ragged with house work, and 2 new work projects. Sometimes when I start to feel better, I take all of the energy I have and over-do-it! Then I regress and have to rest.
Thank you for taking this journey to health with me… and for your love and support. STAY TUNED for recipes, and the cookbook coming soon!
Love & yum,
Lindsay “Mama” O’Neill