Ten Reasons you NEED Turmeric
Every year doctors, nutritionists, health coaches, etc. come out with GROUND BREAKING NEW WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT, CURE CANCER, EASE IBS, GET CLEAR SKIN, BOOST BRAIN POWER…
We all get excited, and we try it, no matter how crazy it sounds. I’ll put butter in my coffee, eat a pound of bacon, eat ONLY seeds and nuts, or drink cups of apple cider vinegar if I could look like a super model! But what are the long-term effects of these diets? Are they a “quick fix” – OR – is it something I can do for the rest of my life?
YOU ARE LAZY. So am I. Well not really, we are all just so darn busy! We need easy, quick and yummy.
For hundreds of years (maybe more) healers and health gurus have recommended Turmeric for daily consumption and use in your health, wellness and beauty endeavors. WHY?? Here are 10 reasons you need Turmeric:
- STOP Pill Poppin’ – Grab Some Turmeric – In India, turmeric is used to make a topical compress for muscle strains and injuries. Water is mixed with the ground spice to make a paste and it is covered with a cloth that is soaked in hot water. This process is utilizing the anti-inflammatory compounds of turmeric. It’s also important to note that curcumin is absorbed better by the body if you combine it with black pepper – okay, so maybe swap out the pain pills for these 🙂
- Avoid the “C” Word – Curcumin supplements are also being studied for their effectiveness on CANCER. Inflammation has been known to be the beginning stages that can cause cancer and because turmeric is such a strong anti-inflammatory agent, it can really help reduce the risk of cancer. Preliminary studies done on animals are showing that curcuminoids help halt the growth of blood vessels that are in tumors which stops the spread of cancer. Studies are also showing that they help to prevent cancer as well.
- Get Up and Get MOVIN’ – Arthritis is, essentially, inflammation to an extreme degree as it causes pain in the joints and muscles. An alkaline diet can help to lower your inflammation and turmeric is a great way to bolster that diet. Turmeric, like ginger, is a healing root that will help calm the inflammation that causes joint pain. Although, the results will not be instantaneous and you need to let the supplement take effect over time. These results are already proven to be more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs that have undesirable side effects.
- Sick of Being Sick – Besides causing aging, free radicals that are present with inflammation weaken your body’s first defense, the immune system. People are now taking curcumin and cooking with turmeric to bolster the immune system so their body can fight off colds and flus.
- Smarter Than The Average Bear – Believe it or not turmeric has been found to help reduce and prevent Alzheimer’s. Scientists have found that the brain needs a growth hormone to function properly and turmeric can help to increase the level of this hormone which will keep Alzheimer’s away. The growth hormone actually creates new neural pathways and connections that cannot form without it. As we age, the body may produce less of the growth hormone so a curcumin supplement can help keep your cognitive functions sharp.
- Because I’m Happy – Even if you only suffer from mild depression or mood swings, turmeric can help boost your mood. The health industry is coming out with more and more drinks that include turmeric as people are beginning to realize its amazing benefits. Turmeric has been shown in scientific studies to have as powerful of an effect as Prozac in treating depression. The reason that turmeric helps boost the mood so much is that it releases the hormones in the brain that makes us feel good. These hormones are called dopamine and serotonin. When combined with regular exercise and a healthy diet, people can often heal their mind and body. These neurotransmitters respond to what we eat and that is why it’s so important to be in control and monitor the things we eat. ***Depression is one condition that is dependent on the chemistry of the body which is greatly influenced by the diet. If you feel down, take a look at how much processed food you’re eating and try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet that includes turmeric. If you’re experiencing extreme depression you should seek professional help.
- HOT Mama Comin’ At Ya – Inflammation causes oxidative stress in the body which creates age spots and wrinkles. Turmeric can help you stay looking young and feeling young, too! Not that looks matter as much as what’s on the inside, but if you look healthy then chances are you’re going to be healthy on the inside and have great energy levels as well. Make this mask:
- 2 tablespoons of flour. You can use regular flour, rice flour or ground oats if your skin is dry.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- 3 tablespoons milk. You can also use yogurt to fight acne.
- A few drops of honey.
- Clean & dry face. Apply mask. Leave on for 5 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. Pat dry.
- I “Heart” You – Heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the United States and it can be caused by inflammation and poor blood circulation. Luckily, turmeric is a root that allows the blood to flow better by improving the health of the blood vessels. Essentially, the root will help the lining of the blood vessels and this can reduce heart attacks, blood clots, and other heart diseases. Because so many people suffer with blood pressure issues, this supplement is a great way to help lower high blood pressure and reduce hypertension. More on this!
- Ummm… I remember. I think? – Because turmeric helps the circulation in the body and reduces inflammation, the purity of the blood will be better and the blood will be able to deliver nutrients to the body more effectively. The brain needs a healthy blood supply to keep the memory sharp and turmeric can aid in this. Curcumin supplements will be more powerful than turmeric alone for helping your memory because it is a more potent anti-inflammatory agent. Event the plaque that builds up causing Alzheimer’s is broken down by curcumins. We need to think about and study how the body works to know what to eat and what not to eat. Understanding the circulatory systems and neurological systems are an essential aspect of long term health. There are studies that now show curcumins help prevent Alzheimer’s. Don’t believe me? Ask Dr. Weil!
- Let’s RECAP – Inflammation is known to be one of the leading causes of cancer, heart problems, and chronic pain. Chronic inflammation stresses and ages the body. When the body is inflamed there are free radicals that steal from healthy skin cells trying to stabilize. This causes wrinkles and decreases the ability of the brain to function properly. Studies are showing curcumin to be as effective as pharmaceutical drugs that are marketed as anti-inflammatory remedies… so this means if will help with those awful menstrual cramps too! The added benefit is that there will not be harmful side effects to consuming turmeric as other drugs that are non-organic compounds.