Strawberry Rhubarb – White Sweet Potato – Acorn Squash Puree
SEASONAL: SPRING/EARLY SUMMER
I searched HIGH and LOW for a savory recipe using strawberry rhubarb… nada, nothing, zilch. So I made up my own! This is a rhubarb, white sweet potato and acorn squash purée – with spices galore… paired with grilled chicken and veggies to make this a delicious and nutritious meal. Enjoy!
**Rhubarb leaves are toxic, due to high levels of oxalic acid.
What you’ll need:
- 2 stalks strawberry rhubarb (high in fiber)
- 1 acorn squash (chockfull of Vitamin C)
- 1 white sweet potato
- spices galore… nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cayenne!
- 2 tbsp Earth’s Balance Butter
Let’s get cookin’:
- Wash and cut stalks of Rhubarb into 2″ pieces. Wash, peel and cut the potato into a similar size. Place in a medium sauce pot, and cover with cold water until just covered. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add a pinch of salt and cover.
- Wash squash. Use a small knife to pierce the skin of the acorn squash 10 – 15 times (all around). Place squash on a microwave safe dish, and cook on high for 8 minutes. Remove, cut in half and let cool.
- When rhubarb and potatoes are tender, remove from heat and add spices to taste. DO NOT DRAIN/STRAIN. I would add…
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pepper & cayenne
- *you can even add a pinch of cloves
- Remove the seeds from the acorn squash, and add the rest of the cooked flesh (NO SKIN) to the pot.
- Add 2 tbsp of Earth’s Balance “butter” (I buy the organic and soy free)
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything into a SMOOTH puree. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can place all of your items into a blender, then use a spatula to continuously push the mixture down into the blade until it is smooth.
Pair with fish, chicken or veggies, use as a base in a stew, or eat on it’s own. Whatever you do, enjoy!
Love & yum,
Lindsay (Mama) O’Neill