Easy Delicious Beans and Greens Soup (Crockpot)
This soup is EASY and delicious – and NUTRITIOUS too! I’ve been working like crazy on some secret projects AND I just launched my first diet/meal plan program… working long hours but loving every minute! 2 of my kids are sick, and of course, it finally caught up with me. I have to remind myself that I am human, and I need to take care of myself too!
So I am going to whip up a batch of this healthy and delicious soup to help me heal, and soothe my soul. My mama always said, feed a fever, starve a cold!
Dust off that crockpot and get ready for some healthy goodness:
- In a crockpot add:
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans (rinsed)
- 4 cups organic sow sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 vidalia onion chopped
- 2 organic carrots chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of each sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tsp honey* (optional)
- Stir together and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours
- Then when you’re almost ready for dinner stir in:
- 3 cups of chopped greens and keep covered for 15 – 30 minutes – I like escarole, spinach, chard, and mustard greens.
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (if you like a little heat)
Enjoy it at night or for lunch with a slice of whole grain GF toast. You could even add a little parmesan cheese or grilled organic chicken sausage for a more filling meal!
*the honey is added so that the soup is not too bitter – add if you do not add carrots.
Love & yum,
Lindsay (Mama) O’Neill